post

All Comments

What follows here are all the comments (call them ‘sobriety comments‘) left on this blog, stopping-drinking running since about 2011. They’re full of stories from people just like you and me, all looking for the same answers. Some have been regular contributors over the years, offering tons of support and advice. They are all in date order, with the latest comment at the top and the very first comment on about page 85.

Read on and be inspired…

• From Lisa Neumann on Happy Christmas to All Visitors Past, Present & Future

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Lisa

Go to comment
    2018/12/31 at 7:12 pm
  • From Linda on Start Your New Year's Resolutions Today

Still not drinking, been to a couple of Christmas parties and not drinking didn’t spoil my fun, just made me realise how messy the evening got later on!
    Merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone

Go to comment
    2018/12/21 at 8:42 am
    • From James on Start Your New Year's Resolutions Today

Well done Linda. Surviving the Christmas and party season is a major milestone and a great confidence boost. Keep up the good work and keep in touch. Always an eye opener seeing how drunk people get, especially at the end of an evening!

Go to comment
      2018/12/21 at 10:16 pm
  • From Linda on Where do I Start My Recovery from My Addiction?

Sunday morning check in, 3 weeks under my belt and feeling fabulous. Love waking up rested, watching a tv programme and not falling asleep before the end, there’s no ear plugs on my husband’s bed side table ( I’m a snorer when drunk) the bi weekly recycling went out on Friday, I used to try and hide the copious amount of wine bottles under jam jars and vinegar bottles so the neighbours couldn’t see them, unfortunately we don’t really eat much jam or vinegar!
    Been off work this week and haven’t needed to go to the supermarket every day to buy my fix of premixed g&ts and a bottle of red, this is how I limited (haha!)my consumption, by buying one nights worth at a time, if I bought more, I drank more!
    It’s been a productive week as well without any hangovers or early evening drinking, I’ve virtually boxed off Christmas, with a nice pile of wrapped presents in the spare bedroom, I know you will think this ridiculously early but as I work in a supermarket, the last thing I want to do on my days off in December is go shopping!
    It’s little things that mean a lot.
    But the best sober things are the bigger ones; babysat my 7 week old grandson on Monday morning and no hangover or no worries about breathing nasty, stale alcohol fumes on him, we had such a fun time.
    My younger son has come home from uni for a few days for his girlfriends graduation I’m looking forward to talking to him over a cup of tea, without constantly checking the clock and seeing if it’s an acceptable time to open a bottle.
    Out for lunch today with all the family and I won’t be looking for the waiting staff to offer another round of drinks.
    I’m also contemplating telling them I’ve given up but will play it by ear.
    Hopefully I’ll be back next week!

Go to comment
    2018/11/18 at 7:59 am
  • From James on Where do I Start My Recovery from My Addiction?

You’re welcome Linda. I also remember well Keith Floyd and copied his style throughout college and beyond. Never found me cooking without a bottle of wine, and drinking it at the same time…

You sound like you are already seeing the benefits of giving up drink. Many others here found the same. It’s one of the things that helps to inspire you daily on this journey.

James

Go to comment
    2018/11/11 at 9:46 pm
  • From Linda on Where do I Start My Recovery from My Addiction?

Sunday morning again and I’m still here! 2weeks sober and loving it! My skin is clearer, my eyes are brighter, my stomach is calmer, my face is less flushed, The niggley pain in my back has gone, probably my liver protesting but I was too scared to go to doctors, my gums no longer bleed when I brush my teeth and the bursitis in my knee hasn’t bothered me, I think I must have been a living mass of inflammation before!
    I realise when my danger zone is now, it’s immediately after work and when I’m cooking supper. The 1st thing I used to do on getting home, before I even got changed, would be to pour myself a gin and tonic and I always cooked with a glass of wine nearby, anyone remember Keith Floyd? Stir, glug, chop, glug, mix, glug, that was me!
    However the danger zone doesn’t continue into the evening once I’m finished cooking, I’m pleased I haven’t drank. I’ve started drinking ginger beer whilst cooking, no alcohol but it still feels like a grown up drink.
    Week 3 starting and next week I’m off work so going to start a fitness ritual, two years ago I was extremely fit but was struck down with the bursitis so I’m going to start swimming and spinning, hopefully my knee will continue not to bother me and I can try a gentle run soon.
    Thanks James for giving us this platform!

Go to comment